Friday, October 01, 2010

Phit Kitchen Shopping

Dull knives, inappropriate equipment, too much stuff that is too complicated -- all will wreck your health eating plan.

Must-haves in the Phit Chick's kitchen:

Scale
Aluminum Foil and Baggies, Glass bowls for storage
Good knife
Silicon cutting board
Non-stick skillet or sauté pan
Sea Salt
Good olive oil
Good vinegars: rice wine, champagne, balsalmic

Read here how to choose a good saute pan.

Click here to read why the Mayo Clinic says sea salt is healthier than table salt.

I'm an Ina Garten fan and I followed her advice and bought Olio Santo olive oil. Love it. We had to order online but it is now available at Williams-Sonoma.

Ideally, you'll have two Chef's knives, but start with the 8" one. Henckels is an awesome brand.

And storage is critical. I know the potential danger of plastic, so I take food out of the baggie when I warm it up. And I am careful not to overuse - I actually rinse them and turn them inside-out to dry.
Baggies are bad for the planet and need to be used mindfully. I've considered giving them up, but I know from experience that if I have a refrigerator stocked with lunches for the whole week on Monday morning, then I save running out at lunchtime (gas), overspending (money), too many calories (health) and stress (stress).

So in the end, the plastic baggies are a good trade-off.
Glass bowls with plastic lids are better, but I have left so many at the office and I'm not sure washing more dishes is really better for our planet in the end.