Friday, May 27, 2011

Phit Chick lit

4 Hour Body is well researched and, given the scientific level of the information, easy to read.   I became a huge Tim Ferriss fan (like everybody else) after "4 Hour Work Week." 

His smart a$$ style - which I would normally find offensive -- doesn't come off as obnoxious.  Instead it feels like a really intelligent conversation about becoming your personal physical best.  And his tone actually is the best part; it's like extreme science over a beer instead of in a lecture hall.   (Though I don't drink beer, and apparently he doesn't either, so not the best example).

And get this Phit Chicks...you will LOVE this about his plan:  Cheat day.  

One day a week you eat anything you want and as much of it as you want.  Yep, anything.

I like this plan because it gives women an emotional edge -- you DO get to have the chocolate, you just have to wait a couple days.   (How about that for a change?  An advantage in dieting!).

I know that you Moderation Police are going to scream at me.  My apologies, but moderation doesn't always work for busy, emotional or high-achieving women (that would be nearly all of us). 

All things in moderation, including moderation.

There is no better therapy -- physical, mental or emotional -- than laughter.

I literally laughed out loud all the way through Bossypants.  I read it on a flight to New Orleans and I'm sure the folks sitting near me thought I was already sipping Hurricanes.

Jobs, kids, husbands, family -- Tina covers it all with a fresh sense of humor.  These are not the same old jokes.  And she makes you feel good about yourself as you giggle at her up's and down's, which she portrays as being remarkably parallel to your own.  (OK, except she has tons of money and a fabulous career and TV show.)

Both would be terrific weekend reads.