Thursday, February 12, 2009

"baby" workouts

Thanks to inspiration from Annette Lang, I've decided to try posting my workouts and nutrition challenges here as my "journal."
The new baby, new house and incredibly demanding job are taking quite a bit out of me. I've done well getting cardio in -- I go to Lifetime on the weekends and run on the treadmill (love the shock-absorbing decks on those treadmills -- my knees really love them), and when the weather cooperates I walk outside. But strength training has slipped away. For 20 years I've taught classes where I automatically did more strength training than I needed. My weight fell to pre-pregnancy weight before Mirabella was three months old. But I've a living case study in body composition -- muscle tissue atrophied while I healed from the c-section. The new lifestyle hasn't done much to build muscle.
So this morning Mirabella was up about 5:45. I should have been up before her but she woke up three times last night. Highly unusual as she's a steady sleeper (like Mom!). So after I got her up I put her in the playpen while I pumped milk for her. Then we went into my office where I keep my dumbbell set and we put U2 on the iPod. I put Mirabella in the jumper and started my weights. She has recently learned to patty-cake. At the end of each set, I put the weights down and she clapped for me. What wonderful motivation!
Her attention span doesn't allow for more than about 15 minutes in the jumper. But something is better than nothing, and here's what I got done:
Biceps:
10 reps w/ 18lbs
10 w/ 18lbs
9 w/ 18lbs
10 w/15lbs
Tricep kickbacks:
10 w/ 12 lbs
10 w/ 12lbs
8 w/ 12 lbs
Then did a series of low back stretches and my "hip opener" series that I used to LOVE to do in Sunday morning yoga. Did bridge for 60 seconds, three times. Then some more stretching.
Would have loved to do more, but M was tired of the jumper, and I needed to get in the shower or be late for work.
To improve: I skipped breakfast, got to do that tomorrow. Mr. Right made me a mocha (soy, decaf, almost nothing since baby can't have dairy or caffeine) but I should have had my usual oatmeal and I'd like to add in egg whites.
Rushed mornings are a part of almost everyone's lives these days. I recommend a baby clapping for you and a little Bono on the iPod -- does wonders!
Create a healthy day~
Angela