Sunday, December 27, 2009

resolution solution

no resolutions.

This is really hard for me. But I have a planner pad full of goals and projects and I don't need any more lists. I need more check marks on the lists I do have.

I was thinking today that in 2010 I will turn 45. Halfway to 50. Geez.

I saw Meryl Streep in "It's Complicated" yesterday. I was so looking forward to it; Meryl inspires me. She is amazing and yet she keeps getting better.

There is a scene in the movie where she is picking tomatoes in her beautiful garden and arguing with her ex-husband, Alec Baldwin (I think the character's name is Jake). I couldn't tell you what she said to him, because I was looking at the beautiful garden. It was amazing.

I'm sure Hollywood has a high-end nursery bring in beautiful plants and set them down right before the shooting. Still, it was gorgeous -- Kale, Swiss chard, tomatoes, lots of things I didn't recognize.

I'd like to have a garden like that before I'm 50.

The problem is, I don't really like gardening. I hate yard work. I know there's a lesson here about "enjoying the journey" but I just want the garden. I'd prefer to pay someone else to do it. Am I getting shallow? Aren't you supposed to be more drawn to gardening as you age?

Anyway, besides the garden, Meryl Streep is her typical amazing self. She's 60, and makes 60 look good.

So in the spring I'll be half-way to 50. What can I be doing now that I am close to being the "best self" that Meryl clearly is?

I think I want to learn to speak French.

Spanish would be easier, I took it in hs and college. And it would be more useful. But French is so beautiful.

Johnson County Community College has this great deal with Rosetta Stone -- you can take all the Rosetta Stone language courses for 10 weeks for $99. I'm going to try Spanish, French and Italian. At the end of the 10 weeks, I may buy the Rosetta Stone that I suck the least at.

Who knows, maybe I will be billingual at 50.