Monday, June 22, 2009

Rose Brooks

I have been sick to my stomach all day.
I got a fundraising letter from the Rose Brooks Center. Apparently the economic situation has increased domestic violence significantly. Easy to imagine that. But the Rose Brooks Center is in a wait list situation.

I can't imagine a woman with a child who finally summons the courage to leave an abusive situation and then finds the shelter -- her last resort -- has a waiting list.

I wrote a check and put it in my desk to mail at the end of the week when I have money to cover it.
Having a new baby makes me feel vulnerable. Having enjoyed immense independence for my entire adult life, I can't imagine being in a situation where I had no options. A home life so bad I had to evaluate leaving. Sleeping in your car, staying with a friend, getting by until you can change things -- not options when you have a baby to care for.
I NEVER solicit and rarely do fund raising, but if you can help, please consider sending a donation to Rose Brooks Center, PO BOx 320599, Kansas City MO 64132-0599.
Angela